03 March, 2013

A Bob Feller Cut Signature

I obtained a Bob Feller cut signature card about a month ago.  I was bidding on a Yoenis Cespedes rookie autograph on ebay (which I won and will post about eventually), and while perusing the seller's other items for sale, saw this sweet Bob Feller autograph:

 
2012 Panini Prime Cuts, Bob Feller Souvenir Cuts, #'d 82/99.  I thought that a serial number of 99 seems a bit high for a cut signature, but I guess Feller signed a good amount of stuff.  The back blurb on this card mentions Sandy Koufax.

It is always interesting to read about Bob Feller, a World War II veteran and one of the greatest pitchers of all time, who by all accounts was a level-headed and honest workhorse, gentleman, and all around stand-up dude.  Feller was a teammate of the pioneering Larry Doby, the American League's first African-American player.  Doby was elected to the Hall of Fame on this date in 1998.  I think I will try to acquire a Larry Doby signature so that he and Feller can hang out together in my collection.

6 comments:

  1. Wow, nice! So what if Feller was a good signer willing to sign a lot of stuff? Doesn't make a signature that beautiful worth any less.

    That WOULD go well with a Doby, so I hope you pick one up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not that I was complaining! Haha. I am just surprised at how many Bob Feller signatures Panini purchased. A certified Doby might be hard to get... challenge accepted!

      Delete
  2. Can't wait to see your Cespedes autograph... that's high on my want list this year. Best of luck on your hunt for Doby. My buddy has one of those Upper Deck sheets from the 90's signed by Doby. I've been trying to get it from him for years, mainly because it also includes Fingers & Garvey's signatures too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will post it soon. ; )

      That sheet sounds awesome. Is he just unwilling to part with it?

      Delete

Inquire or comment away!