04 April, 2013

Giant Robots and Giant Monsters!

I love mechs.  I will pretty much play any video game or watch any movie that features mecha.  If I had millions or billions of dollars, I would likely have one built for me.  Pacific Rim is a movie I very much look forward to seeing when it is released in July.  The film is essentially about giant robots fighting giant monsters, is directed by Guillermo del Toro, and features an awesome cast that includes Charlie Hunnam, Idris Elba, Rinko Kikuchi, Charlie Day, and Ron Perlman.

My girlfriend and I attended the Friday, March 29th date of Wondercon 2013 at the Anaheim Convention Center.  It was fun!  Unfortunately for us, the Pacific Rim panel was on Saturday.  Fortunately, however, some ladies were walking about the convention handing out some Pacific Rim promotional goodies:

I saw card-sized cellophane packs being handed out and I think my "collector sense" tingled.  I immediately knew that the Pacific Rim promo girls were handing out some sort of trading cards.  Here's what the packs looked like.  It seems that different nations will have their own robots in the movie.  This one apparently features the "Crimson Typhoon" from the People's Republic of China.

The "Cherno Alpha" from Russia.  I think "Cherno" means black.  The mech is black, so that would make sense.

The Pacific Rim promo ladies, who were dressed in a sort of army green military-esque go-go uniform, were also handing out temporary tattoos.

I love this kind of thing.  The backs of the cards show stats for each mech.  It makes me feel like a kid again.  It shows the robots' speed, power, and armor ratings, as well as their monster (or "kaiju") kill count, and their height, weight, and scale.  Looks like China-bot is all about speed and mobility, while Russia-bot is a powerhouse tank.

I hope Pacific Rim turns out to be good and entertaining.  Hannibal is on in half an hour.  Mads Mikkelsen is fuckin' awesome!

*Update: Hannibal was merely OK.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Inquire or comment away!