11 November, 2012

Dan's Other World Crazy Group Break Haul: Part 1

Last month (October) saw the conclusion of the most lengthy group break that I have ever participated in.  Dan over at The Other World hosted the massive group break, in which we busted open one box of 2011 Leaf Ink, two boxes of 2011 Leaf Valiant, two boxes of 2010 Panini Century Collection, one box of 2009 Upper Deck Signature Stars, and two boxes of 2007 Tristar Prospects Plus.  The idea for the break started in April, but because it was a complicated draft-style break, it took a while to finish.  I did, however, have fun and enjoyed the rather epic group break.  I am also satisfied with the cards I received from it.

I'll post the cards I got in separate parts to keep things more organized.  Here is what I ended up with from the two 2010 Panini Century Collection boxes:

James Cagney, Hollywood Materials Souvenir Stamps stamp-wool thing, #'d 021/250.  This is the third time I've pulled this card; it is currently listed on Ebay.  I think the material is part of a scarf or a sweater.  I did not want this card, as I've owned one at two previous times, but it fell to me in the draft.

That's a nice hue of blue.  Bette Davis, stamp-relic, #'d 020/250.  I have never actually seen any of Davis' films, but it is still nice to have a relic card of an American screen and stage legend.  What I have seen are her hand prints at Grauman's Chinese though.  Does that count?

Deion Sanders jersey swatch, #'d 16/25.  Seems pretty rare for a standard base jersey card variation.  I think the swatch is from a Reds uniform?  There are no multi-sport pro dudes anymore, which is disappointing.  I was always delighted to pull Deion Sanders or Bo Jackson cards in my youth.  Michael Jordan too, naturally.  Pinstripe!

Steve Cauthen, Sports Souvenir Stamps stamp-auto, #'d 26/66.  I have a shifting fascination with horse racing, horses, and jockeys.  There has never been a catalyst for me to become full on obsessed with horse racing though.  However, I could easily see myself following and also betting on it.  On the one hand, I really enjoyed the time I went with my girlfriend to watch the races at Golden Gate Fields in Berkeley.  On the other hand, my main interest in horses is that I want to eat one.  So there's that.

Lou Brock, Souvenir Stamps on-card autograph with relic, #'d 04/10.  Hall of Famer, two-time World Champion, broke Ty Cobb's stolen base record, 3,000 hit club, 2nd all-time in bases stolen, annoyed Koufax, never booed, and probably a super cool dude.  Unfortunate that he played for the Cubs and Cardinals and not his boyhood favorites, the Dodgers.

I might run a contest to give away some of the cards I received after I finish posting the rest of my group break haul.  Thanks to Dan at The Other World for running the break!

3 comments:

  1. The Panini card look pretty nice. The Brock and Deion are super cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really diggin' that Brock auto. What is Deion wearing in that card? It looks like his prom picture... I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, it totally looks like a prom photo!

      Delete

Inquire or comment away!