18 February, 2013

Corey Seager

Corey Seager is a top-five prospect for the Los Angeles Dodgers.  He's currently a shortstop, but will probably convert to man the hot corner instead.  Seager's older and similarly positioned brother, Kyle, is on the Seattle Mariners and had himself a nice 2012 season.  While shopping for autographs of top baseball prospects, I have found that Dodgers top prospect cards seem to be cheaper than those of players from other organizations.  I wonder if other collectors have experienced something similar?  I finally managed to get my paws (feet?  hands?) on a sweet Corey Seager autograph though:

 2012 Leaf Metal Draft, Corey Seager "prismatic" auto, #'d 52/99.  I tried to capture the "prismatic" effect in the photo.


I've recently tried to obtain some high-rated and/or hyped prospect signature cards of players from the Reds, Rays, Rangers, Cubs, Cardinals, and A's organizations with little success.  Some of these players are priced incredibly high.  One can only imagine how pricey their cards will get once they make their professional debuts.  However, by then Topps will probably flood the market with rookie autographs so the prices will go down.  Maybe.  I guess I am a fledgling prospector, indeed.  Though, I rarely buy and sell just to flip a card.

4 comments:

  1. The prospect autograph card market is fickle. I tend to "prospect" quite a bit myself, and the prices go in waves. Right now, AA and AAA prospects are at their second highest mark or the year. Fans are starting to see the ones invited to camp in their favorite team's uniforms for the first time.

    The prospects reach their peak when they make their debut, or in the odd case of Superman Mike Trout, when they go on a tear and carry their team for two months - this doesn't happen often.

    The best time to buy prospect autographs seems to be early winter. I made a killing about 2-3 weeks after Bowman Sterling came out in 2012 stocking up on Stryker Trahan, Francisco Lindor and some Blue Jays prospects.

    Also, you're right, Dodgers prospects are seemingly cheaper. I think most think everyone is blocked by the huge salary MLB team right now. However, you don't see it elsewhere in the huge markets (Red Sox and Yankees prospects always have a high price.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hm, very true, and also good info! I also wonder about the percentage of general/flipping prospectors vs. more regionally/team-based prospectors or collectors that are purchasing prospect cards at any given time.

      Delete
    2. I'm a little bit of both. I despise those who are just in it to make a profit, but at the same time, I like being able to see a prospect and think "he's going to be good", grab some of his cards, and then watch people go nuts for him in a few years.

      Delete
    3. Yea, I totally get that. I do the same thing, really.

      Delete

Inquire or comment away!